Top 25 Elf on the Shelf Ideas!
I have created a calendar of events, and you can gain access to that by subscribing below or on the sidebar.
This post will be based on explaining in depth and giving credit where credit is due where I found some of these Elf on the Shelf ideas! I know I am more of a visual person and do good seeing images.
So without further ado, let’s jump in!
*This post may contain affiliate links, but my review is totally 100% honest! Read the disclosure here*
Top 25 Elf on the Shelf Ideas!
- Arrival: There are many many many ideas for this on Pinterest. I’ll share later what I chose to do. When I decide.
- Popping out of Chimney: I thought this would be totally cute when I seen the chimneys from Crafty Morning. For the Elf, I will simply do the outside of it and stick the elf inside to peep out.
- Elf Gets Captured: Another idea I will have to adapt to what we have available. Of course we have a girl, so I don’t have as many army men as Blind Mom with her idea of how Elf gets captured. But I can make do with the few knights that we have.
- Play Uno with Friends: Another idea….. ohhhkay, you get the point, they’re mostly all adaptions. I’m broke and a procrastinator. But this from the Poker Night idea on A Few Shortcuts.
- Elf on the Tree with a Letter!: This is something I ran across and I can’t find the original source. But they had their elf on what looked like a “zip line” across the living room and the elf was attached to one of those candy canes with chocolate in it. Attached has a letter rewarding the kid for knowing his shapes. So I thought it would be good to have the Elf reward something that Alexis knows. I think I’m going to pick knowing her numbers and letters to keep it simple. I’m going to put that Santa is so proud of her!
- Wrap Potty with Gift Wrap: I think she is going to get a kick out of waking up to see the Elf has wrapped up her potty! & Don’t forget the bow!! This came from another place I can’t find anymore. Poo. But there are lots of variations on Pinterest!
- Hanging out with the Princesses: Or Army men. Or anything you have. I’m going to steal one of her princess castles and a couple barbie princess the night before and set it up in the living room.
- Elf Gets Crafty – Make an ornament: I was just thinking about I want some ideas for how to incorporate making a craft with the Elf and I figured I could have the Elf “make” an ornament with a letter telling her it’s her turn and have all the supplies laid out.
- Elf on Strike: Already assuming she will not listen the day before, because let’s face it… she hardly ever does. So I’m going to have Elf sitting out with a sign telling her that she is on Strike until Alexis can listen to her mommy and daddy. **Backup plan** If she does listen decently the day before, then Elf will be on strike until her room is clean. This was an idea I seen several times on Pinterest.
- Bathing in Marshmallows: I love this Elf Bath idea from Natalme. I also love how she doesn’t even read the book. Her kids just know that their elf is for coming in and playing tricks on them. I am iffy on whether I want to use this as something to make her behave for one month a year. Veryyy iffy…
- Fishing with Goldfish: This is another one I seen throughout Pinterest. I think it’s totally cute. Most I seen were putting them in the sink or toilet bowl but I’m going to put them in a bowl and let her eat what’s left.
- Elf in Refrigerator: This one I thought was totally cute and acceptable since the very first thing, I’m talking not even 30 seconds after she wakes up, she’s asking for milk. So on this day I’m going to let her go get the milk and have little Elf wrapped up beside the carton. This is going off this idea from The Good Stuff by Coupons.com.
- Elf Poop in Potty: I love the idea where Elf is sitting on the side of the potty (disinfected is a must!) and there are little candies in there like peppermint, like this idea from Our Kids Mom. However, as noted above, being on a strict budget I will be looking for candies that we already have. Probably some leftover candy that I hid and forgot about from a couple Christmas’ or Halloween’s ago.
- Coco to Start The Day: This one I thought of while having a cup of Hot Apple Cider (yum!) in my Santa mug and making out the calendar for our Elf. I thought about how much she loves hot chocolate and thought that it would be cute to let her wake up and get treated to a cup of coco with her Elf sitting by with a note rewarding her for something the day before or something positive.
- Gingerbread House: My mom bought her a Train gingerbread house and I have been thinking of the perfect time to put it together. What better way than to have Elf sitting beside it one morning? *Ding Ding Ding!* I can’t wait!
- Swinging on Ornament: Well I have this ornament… It’s super shiny and silver and blingy looking. Every time I look at it I think of that dang Miley Cyrus song. So while making the calendar, I look up and “Came in like a wreckinggggg balllll…” played in my head and I thought it would be super funny to attach him to it. Not a fan of hers, but I love the idea.
- Elf on Computer: This is another one from Pinterest (go figure)! But I’m not sure which idea I’m going to go with. Either figure out a way to make it look like he is face timing with another elf or have him writing a letter to Santa. I will probably go with the note to Santa on her behavior or something.
- Pinecone Christmas Tree for Elf: We live in the country with literally 25+ pine trees around us. I despise the pine needles, but the cones come in handy when I want to do fall/winter activities. So my plan for this craft time is to have Elf leave the supplies to make him a christmas tree because Elf’s need trees too!
- Elf Stays Fit: This is a popular one as well. Grab a couple marshmallows and a toothpick and this is an easy go-to idea and will make Alexis giggle as she likes working out with mommy.
- Peeping out of Stocking: Getting close to the end, I was tired of searching Pinterest and was bored with the computer. So looking around the living room, I thought one that will make her giggle is have little Elf peeping out of the stocking. Simple.
- Elf Zip lines: This came from idea #5. I won’t make him zip line then, but I plan on putting up a line around the living room and make him a thing to hold on to from a paperclip.
- Elf in Toilet Paper Roll: This super cute idea came from Pinterest, it doesn’t direct to a blog, just another image but I think it’s super cute! Just look!
- Leave Ingredients For Santa Cookies: Santa told Alexis the other day to make him cookies. Of course she’s been stuck on that for days now. So 2 days before Christmas we will make him some and Elf will be the one to leave the ingredients and be there to watch and make sure she does it right. (& helps mommy!)
- Christmas Eve Boxes: This is a “tradition” I attempted to start last year but when it took an hour to
drive back to our apartment 9pm, get there at 10pm, it’s time for them to go to bed. There was no way either one was staying up to enjoy popcorn, hot chocolate and a movie then. But this year the fiancé and I have discussed it and we should be able to be back home by 8pm and Elf will have their Christmas Eve boxes set up for them to open! (:
- Bye Bye!: I’m sure she will be sad to see him go, so I’ll have to come up with an awesome idea for him to go out with a bang!
What is your favorite idea? Or what are some ideas you have that you are doing this year?
Also what are some ideas you’ve done in the past for him to leave in a “memorable” way?
I would love to hear any feed back or stories! (: